Surrogate (substitute) motherhood is becoming an increasingly popular means of treating infertility worldwide. Only in Russia about 20 percent (approximately 6 million) of married couples, for medical reasons are unable to have children on their own. They need the help of doctors and reproductologists.
In the case of conventional infertility, therapy is not effective enough and about 20-25% of case come to the aid of using a surrogate mother.
Is Surrogacy Legal in Russia?
Article 55 of the Federal Law №323 "On the fundamentals of protection of health of citizens of the Russian Federation" defines surrogacy as "surrogacy and the birth of a child according to the agreement concluded between curmatura (the woman carrying the fetus after the transfer of donor embryos) and biological parents whose sexual gametes were used for fertilization or a single woman".
According to the law, it is permissible for heterosexual couples, both single and not married as well as single women to use surrogacy to become parents.
A single man can also enlist the help of a surrogate mother by using the analogy of the law. If a single woman can procreate with a surrogate mother, then the same right - because of the current Russian Constitution, which guarantees equality of the sexes, equality of rights and opportunities for their implementation – so can a single man.
Gay and lesbian couples to realize the surrogacy program in Russia can not. Due to the fact that gay marriage in Russia is not legalized, this category of patients can resort to surrogate mothers, only one by one.
The Main Stages of Surrogacy Program:
- The initial consultation. During the consultation you will receive a response to all your questions as an organizational and legal plan and choose the most suitable package based on suiting your budget; the conclusion of the contract and its payment;
- Recruitment of candidate surrogate mothers from our own base (You can also contact us with the already selected independently chosen surrogate mother, our company, in this case will be responsible only for the organization and coordination of your reproductive program and its legal support);
- The choice of fertility clinics. Please note that the clinic and doctor you choose and only You. We're following your instructions;
- Approval of a surrogate mother. You have chosen a fertility clinic. If the doctor for any reason does not approve candidacy, the new surrogate mother will be provided free of charge (warranty replacement);
- Start of implementation of the medical component of the program. synchronization of cycles of two moms – genetic (egg donor) and surrogate, IVF, the transfer of 1-2 embryos (3-5 days of development, depending on the clinic and the characteristics of the development of embryos) into the uterus of a surrogate mother;
- Finding a surrogate mother in Moscow under the supervision of medical staff up to the first test of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin);
- Management of pregnancy according to our standard Protocol. A specially appointed curator oversees the behavior of a surrogate mother during the whole period of carrying your child, monitors the conduct of medical examinations, is responsible for the organization of proper nutrition and decent living of the surrogate mother, as well as consultations of a psychologist, specializing in surrogacy (as needed);
- Birth in the chosen maternity facility (You can choose between public and private hospitals);
- On the day of the discharge from the hospital, the transfer of the nurtured surrogate to the parents-surrogate customers of the program, to only one parent;
- Obtaining birth certificate of your child. In the civil registry office with the names of the parents or single parent without mentioning the name of a surrogate mother.
Upon turning to our company you receive the full complex of organizational, medical and legal services related to the implementation of your surrogacy program.
Experts from the European Center for Surrogate Motherhood, have for more than fourteen years, with total knowledge about surrogacy, successfully engaged in both the theoretical and practical issues of reproduction involving a third party from surrogacy to donor gametes and embryos. During this time we have grown a large private database of already surveyed surrogate mothers and egg donors. When you chose a candidate from our database, you can rest assured of their physical and mental health, motivation, adequacy and focus on collaboration in the surrogacy program.
We guarantee that each candidate from our database has passed a medical examination and ready to become a surrogate mother. Our company also offers to be involved with the maintenance of the program of substitute motherhood with a surrogate mother, chosen by yourself.
Our company also gives you the opportunity to become parents and patients with hepatitis, HIV, cancer patients. Not all artificial insemination centres are ready and able to work with such patients, but our company can help you find such customers to choose a reliable clinic and implement a surrogacy program in compliance with all the medical and legal formalities.
The Cost of Surrogacy in Russia (2019)
If you are considering surrogacy as a means of overcoming infertility (childlessness), you must first calculate your budget.
The cost of our surrogacy program, including the provision for choice of possible surrogate mother candidates a guarantee replacement, and the coordination of the process and legal support, until the receipt of the birth certificate of your child, is on average 20 000 euros.
Compensation for a surrogate mother, which is paid upon program completion, is on average 12 000 euros. In addition a small fee is usually paid for the maintenance of the surrogate mother during her pregnancy – about 350 euros per month.
The prices of the cost of the cost of the medical part of the surrogacy program vary greatly from clinic to clinic. But generally the cost of the IVF program is about 3 000 euros.
In the case where the surrogate mother is not able to fall pregnant on the first try, the costs will increase slightly. This entails additional costs for the maintenance of the surrogate mother and medical expenses for a new transfer of embryos and for her regular medical check-up before the transfer.
Surrogacy for Couples
In Russia, in order to be eligible for surrogacy programs, the couple do not have to be officially registered as being married or be living together. They need just go to a fertility clinic and to sign the corresponding informed consent forms.
Of course, in order to use the services of surrogacy programs in Russia for single people, it is not enough, due to the necessity of the establishment of certain medical conditions.
Medical indications for surrogacy are indicated in 107 Order of MH of the Russian Federation:
- Is the absence of a uterus (congenital or acquired); is the deformation of cavity or neck of the uterus congenital malformations or diseases; sinehii of the uterine cavity, are not amenable to therapy;
- Somatic diseases in which pregnancy is contraindicated, obliteration of the cavity of the uterus, atrophy of the endometrium, or habitual miscarriage (a history of 3 or more spontaneous abortions).
In addition, the indications for the need of a surrogacy program are all disease conditions that are included in the List of contraindications to IVF.
Direct indication for the need of surrogacy programs, are the unsuccessful, repeated, IVF attempts (at least three), where the repetition of obtaining of good quality embryos for transfer, did not lead to pregnancy.
The surrogacy program, may take place using the genetic material of the parents, or with the use of donor sperm cells (if necessary, for medical reasons).
The European Center for Surrogate Motherhood has its own database of verified egg and sperm donors, all with different phenotypes, blood groups and RH factors.
Surrogacy for Single Patients
Russian legislation, for single people, having a child, thanks to modern technology, ceased to be a miracle, and became a real possibility. In this case, you child will not only inherit your surname, but also share half of your DNA, by using self (donors of gametes may be relatives or friends), and the other half of DNA, by using an already proven candidate for Egg or Sperm donation from our own database of donors.
In the case of using a sperm donor, you will need to wait for the semi-quarantine for review.
For single women, who are about to become mothers via a surrogacy program, the process is relatively simple, but with single men who wish to procreate, there may arise legal problems when registering their "surrogate" childrens birth certificates. That is why it is so important for these fathers to have important qualified legal support. Starting from the first contact with the fertility clinic until the birth certificate, without the name of the surrogate mother. In Russia for single fathers to use surrogacy programs, to this extent, it is possible, but only after a court decision, as was the case, previously under Russian law, where a single father was granted permission.
The European Center for Surrogate Motherhood, in conjunction with our law firm which specializes in reproductive law, has carried out hundreds of successful surrogacy programs, for all categories of intended parents including, of course, and single men.
Question & Answer
How does legislation regulate surrogacy programs?
In Russia surrogacy is absolutely legal and is has been regulated by law since 1995. The basic legal nuances of the program and the procedure for establishing the origin of a surrogate child are determined in the following regulations:
- The Family code of the Russian Federation, article 51, 52.
- FZ 323 "On foundations of citizens' health protection in the Russian Federation".
- The law "On civil status acts", article 16.
Medical aspects of surrogacy are regulated by the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation №107n dated August 30, 2012 "On the use of assisted reproductive technologies, contraindications and limitations to their use"
Interesting Facts About Surrogacy
It is believed that surrogate motherhood has begun to turn recently, but this is not true. For example, in Ancient Rome, the husbands gave their wives up for rent to couples where the woman was barren, and the baby could be born with the help of a "hired" mother, officially the child became the legitimate child of the infertile couple.
The ancient Jews , in cases of a barren wife, resorted to the help of slaves, who gave birth from this woman's husband. By first taking responsibility for his legitimate wife, he demonstrated by this gesture, their incontestable rights to the child.